Canelo not surprised at stoppage
Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez says he always expected to stop Billy Joe Saunders during their world super-middleweight title unification bout on Saturday.
The Mexican fighter unified the WBC, WBA and WBO super-middleweight titles by stopping the previously undefeated Saunders after eight rounds of their contest at the AT & T Stadium in Arlington.
A devastating uppercut towards the end of the eighth round appeared to do the damage, as Saunders did not get off his stool ahead of the ninth, with his team instead throwing in the towel before taking the 31-year-old to hospital with a suspected fracture in his right eye socket.
Canelo had been the dominant force prior to the stoppage and the four-weight world champion felt he was always going to win the bout inside 12 rounds.
"No, I was winning round by round," Canelo told DAZN when asked if the Briton was causing him problems.
"The truth is as I told you. My fight would develop after six or seven rounds, but I started getting adjusted really quick. I knew that this was going to be the final round."
The 30-year-old is now targeting a bout with IBF champion Caleb Plant, as he bids to become Mexico's first undisputed champion at 168lbs.
"That's the plan," Canelo said regarding Plant. "I'm coming my friend. I hope that fight will be made easy."
Canelo has won 56 of his 59 professional fights to date, with his only defeat coming via majority decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2013.
Mayweather has since retired from professional boxing, but he is set to take on internet personality Logan Paul in an exhibition fight at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami on June 6th.
The 44-year-old is priced at 1.11 to win that bout, while Paul is available at 6.00.