Slater still pondering his future

10 August 2017 21:07:22 GMTPlus11

Melbourne Storm superstar Billy Slater says he'll decide soon whether to play on next year, but the 34-year-old said his recent concussion hasn't delayed his decision, and won't affect the outcome.

Slater says he initially expected to make up his mind at the end of the State of Origin series, but that the knock-out blow he suffered against Canberra last month had affected his plans.

I'm enjoying my football this year and I feel good, so the decision will be made in due course.

Billy Slater

Speaking ahead of the top-of-the-table clash with the Roosters on Saturday, the Australia and Queensland ace said he expected to make a decision soon about his future.

"With the incident that happened a couple of weeks ago, I put everything on the backburner and I haven't really sat down with my family," he added.

"I'm enjoying my football this year and I feel good, so the decision will be made in due course."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has spoken openly about his hopes that Slater will play on, and the full-back said everyone at the club had been respectful of his situation.

Melbourne recently extended the contracts of youngsters Brodie Croft, Brandon Smith and Jahrome Hughes, and whether or not he stays for next year Slater says the club's future is in good hands.

"It's positive light ahead that the Melbourne Storm, past my days and past Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk, it's going to be left in a healthy position," he added.

Meanwhile, Parramatta are set to rest full-back Bevan French for Friday's meeting with Newcastle.

French spent the second half of last week's win over the Bulldogs on the bench due to a hamstring injury and coach Brad Arthur said the club didn't want to take a risk with their custodian, with the finals fast approaching.

The Eels would move into the top four if they beat bottom side Newcastle.

Parramatta areĀ 2/11 to beat the Knights, who are 83/20.

View allĀ Rugby League betting